Categories of hosting services
A hosting solution is associated with storing and/or sharing certain web content on a server managed by a web hosting supplier. There are various types of hosting services utilized for different aims, so let's examine them. In that way, you can pick what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to launch a website, e-mail address accounts, or to share files with comrades and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service delivered by particular web hosts, which enables you to share huge files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its single purpose is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting solutions are often supported by showing adverts beside the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a certain amount of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file hosting plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At present, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting retailers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is a completely untrue explanation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would distribute the workload between separate groups of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving miscellaneous website hosting services (electronic mail, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, web site hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is only a kind of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; specific firms provide a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting brand is appropriate if you want to share a vast number of images with mates or colleagues since the solution is typically free of cost. You will obtain a random link for each and every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service devoted to administering your mail accounts. Some suppliers offer hosting services for web pages, but do not offer an email service. If you want to create a mail address with your domain name but do not want to own a site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can open email accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a certain video, or you can embed the video clip in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this method instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video clip creates a given amount of CPU load, so with a bunch of videos and a few hundred website viewers, you may have trouble with your web page hosting resources. Embedding the video file will permit you to operate as many video clips as you want without hassling about system resources.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you require if you would like to keep a web site. To some extent, it consists of all of the abovementioned hosting categories since, along with your sites, you can also host pics and files, you can keep databases and electronic mail accounts, upload videos, etc. At Angry Dog Hosting Company, for instance, you can view web hosting and dedicated web server hosting packages that allow you to get all of the aforementioned services in one place. There may be limits depending on the type of hosting service that you've opted for - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web hosting account may be better or worse in comparison with the ordinary e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are designed for particular web content exclusively.